ALL ABOUT BARRY
Born in Aberdeen, Scotland and raised in Niagara, Barry Smith has always been a natural story-teller with a flair for humour, wit and playing with the English language. His passion, photography, is a means of telling his stories in a more visual manner and a way of sharing his clever social commentary with others. Using natural lighting, Barry’s unique pictures come to life like a fresh painting on canvas.
With a knack for turning the ordinary into the extraordinary, Barry captures life as he sees it through his “artsy” photographs. Always armed with a camera, he approaches his subject from his unique view. He admits to having the title formulated for many of his shots before taking the picture – thus providing a venue for his story- telling.
Although art photography is his love, Barry also enjoys spending time in his community of Thorold with his wife and three kids.
Currently has approximately 300 photographs in circulation in both colour and black and white, taken from 2009 to present. Once Barry was inspired and confident enough to exhibit and sell his work publicly, he launched B Squared Photography in April of 2013.
He started a Facebook page and received 100 members in less than 4 months. In October, 2013 he launched his website at www.bsquaredphotography.ca. He started up an active Twitter feed not long after @Bsquaredfotos. Barry has his art hanging across the Niagara Region at various homes and businesses such as Figg Street Co. in Thorold; Blueline Diner in Niagara Falls; Thorold Physiotherapy; Young & McNamara in Thorold; Something Else in Port Colborne to name a few.
He has shown his work publicly at galleries such as Mahtay Café, Pow Wow World Grill and Studio 4 Tattoo Parlour in St. Catharines. You can find his pictures on recording artists’ albums Pazit and Cory Cruise. His pictures are used on various websites including www.ittybittypie.com and www.brettforseyfitness.com This summer he will be collaberating with local artists Robin Nesbit and Robin McPherson for separate projects.
- 2013 – Brock University Community Learning – Call for Art – Winner.
Submitted piece: ”low-income housing for the birds”
- 2013 – What’s On Thorold, photo contest – Winner.
Submitted piece: “empty schedule”
- Art in the Park – Montebello Park, St. Catharines, July 2013
- Mount Carmel Fine Art and Music Festival – Niagara Falls, August 2013, 2014, 2015
- Grimsby Festival of Art– Grimsby, September 2013
- ARTfest-Vineland, October 2013
- Thorold Christmas Art and Craft Show- Thorold, November 2013
- WalkSTC gallery at the Mahtay Café, St. Catharines for the month of December, 2013; May 2015, 2016
- Niagara Night of Art, Niagara Falls, Sept 2015
- Photo Art Gallery at Mahtay Café for the month of March 2014
- Small Feats at the Niagara Artists Centre, April 2014, 2015
- Art Crawl Port Colborne, June 2014, 2015
- FIRST THURSDAYS, Figg Street Co., Thorold, July 2014, Oct 2015
- Toronto Art Crawls, June, July and August 2015
- ONE SMALL THING (symposium on poverty), Feb 2016
- Photo Exhibition: RAW and Re-imagined at Willowbank, Feb27-March 5, 2016
- Shannon Passero’s The Post Office, May-July, 2016
- Priceless Art Auction, 2014-2016
- For the Love of Art at Herder Estate Wines, 2016-17
- Reflections of Cuba series gallery at Studio 4 Tattoo Parlour, March-April 2017
Member of St. Catharines Art Association
Past member of Niagara Artist's Centre
- “Henry” to Friends of Beaverdams Church Restoration Committee 2016
- “well used pole” to Wells of Hope 2013
- “newsworthy bed” profits to Community Care